Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lisbon, Summer 2008




Portugal is one of those places I have always wanted to visit, but I knew I would never plan a trip there. It was just too far down the list of travel priorities. A wise man once told me that one could go anywhere in life they want, but they can't go everywhere. Fortunately for me circumstances landed me in Lisbon and I took a look around. What I found, I fell in love with.

Lisbon is great. The weather report in summer seems to always read: 81F day and 64F night, clear skies, light wind. The food is good, especially if you like seafood or beef and they have great sangria and Port. Things in general are relatively inexpensive, compared to other places in Europe.

Having a proud seafaring history that stretches way back to the earliest days of the Age of Discovery, the Museu de Marinha in Lisbon is a must see for those of us with penchant for all things nautical. In Lisbon you can see a towering aquaduct, constructed by the Romans, passing between modern apartment buildings. But the best part of travel is not seeing all the things you expect to see and experience when you get there. It is the things you discover once you have arrived that make the lasting impressions.

I once read that it is determined at or around the time of birth whether one will be a night person or a morning person. I am a night person. I don't like getting up early and I like staying up late. Unfortunately, society was engineered by morning people. So people like me are doomed to a life of dealing with morning people early in the mornings until we retire, or maybe not.

I first noticed something was amiss when there was absolutely no traffic on the roads at 7:30 AM on a weekday. Was everybody sleeping late? I quickly found out that dinner time starts around 9:00 PM and a 10:00 PM dinner time is not unusual. A trip to the Columbo Mall in Lisbon at 11:30 at night confirmed my suspicions. I was in a country full of night people.

And it was abeautiful thing.

1 comment:

David said...

Great photography and excellent writing too! This has the makings of a great blog; I look forward to more images and reflections on your travels. Hope you had a good 37th!